Friday, April 15, 2011

Macular Degeneration

Three weeks ago I learned from my eye doctor that I have wet macular degeneration in my right eye. With my left eye closed, I just see a black circle straight ahead. Several years ago the FDA approved a treatment that at least slows the degeneration. Once a month I get an injection of Lucentis in my right eye and twice a day I take an eye vitamin called PreserVision. But the point of this blog is not about me, but rather a test that you can easily take yourself to aid in determining if you have macular degeneration. For several years my doctor has checked me for this ailment, and I was told to check myself to determine if I have good vision looking straight ahead. I had no problem in this regard, but I was always looking with both eyes. Recently I was surprised to learn that in looking straight ahead with just one eye (my right eye), I see the black circle, completely blotting out my view of a face or other object straight ahead.

No comments: